Einstein’s Mythical Yoga Equation
A Yoga Equation:
While there are MANY varied and valid approaches to yoga, below is just ONE, somewhat over-simplified way to look at it.
Yet while the famous Einstein Physics Equation — E=MC2 — seems simple, it is only a starting point for far more complex investigations into physics.
The following Yoga Equation is presented as a Starting Point to dig deeper into the complexities of Physical Mental & Relational Yoga, as well as Postural Yoga Therapeutics:
(Please Pretend this is a Blackboard!)
[su_box title=”Yoga Equation” box_color=”#4600ff”]
1.) You start with discovering some Tension or Stress in the body (or mind).
• If the tension is very high or extreme, it is C.E.M.&.N.T. or Chronic, Excess Muscle & Nerve Tension & Stress — meaning excessively stressed, tense or “tight” muscles.
• C.E.M.&.N.T. can show up as resistance, pain, or fear in muscles, as well as hardness to the touch.
2.) Then put yourself into a Posture designed to put you into greater sensory contact with the Tension in the specific muscle(s).
• This is an opportunity to invest Your Mind Into Your Musculature at a deeper level.
• Determining WHICH muscle(s) to focus on might require Structural Analysis & Postural Evaluation.
3.) You increase the energy of your meditative mind — your Mindfulness — into the increased sensory contact.
• Being With What Is (meditation) for Extended Periods of Time is a “sub-equation” in itself.
• We here can explore the significant differences between Concentration, Meditation & Intention and discover the process of Psycho-Muscular Release.
4.) You apply — or discover or develop your ability of — Relaxation to muscles to reduce their Tension.
• DE-Contraction of muscles = Relaxation
• Relaxation = Letting Go (therefore, Let-Go Yoga).
5.) You multiply the effects by engaging your Breathing into the process.
• Breathing is further enhanced by Letting Go of tension restricting the Breath.
• The Breath offers further exploration between Concentration, Meditation & Intention.
6.) Steps 1 thru 5 produce Sensory / Motor Feedback Loops producing a generally upward spiral of physical, mental & emotional capacities & consciousness.
The above ideas expressed in the “yoga equation” are only a start, or a framework to begin explorations into what yoga is and how it works. That translates into yoga working better for many people.
That framework also helped me work far more “effecticiently” (effectively & efficiently) with Clients, Students, and other Therapists.
Along those lines, there are a number of Sciences & Principles I’ve studied to put myself in a position to help many Clients with their Therapeutic Challenges over the last 35 plus years.
Here’s a quote from Dr. John Bordiuk, who was a yoga teacher before he went to medical school. (Focusing mostly on nutritional & metabolic medicine, he now has a VERY clinically successful practice in the Greater Boston area):
“Having had experience with many different bodyworkers, David’s technique is certainly unique. There are levels of healing he achieves I’ve never seen before. This is clearly a result of a vast knowledge of anatomy and physiology combined with decades of hands-on experience.”
Dr. John Bordiuk, Nutritional M.D.
Inner Balance Med, Wellesley, MA
And here’s another from a yoga teacher:
“Application of these Teachings will take Yoga to new heights in the Western World. … The DSL Method makes profound sense.”
Yoga Teacher & Student
Here’s another Yoga Teacher from the Greater Boston area:
“David’s passionate interest in anatomy and physiology as they relate to yoga has sparked my own curiosity and deeper investigation into these areas. His depth of understanding as to how the body operates, and how it responds to yoga practice filled gaps in my own understanding as a yoga teacher. I like his 10 principles [now 12 Principles~DSL] for maximizing results and preventing injuries while practicing yoga asana, which emphasize safety and honor individual needs. David’s experience as a yoga teacher, bodyworker, trainer, and passionate student of the human body make him a valuable resource for yoga teachers looking to expand their knowledge and learn sound principles on which to practice and teach yoga. I appreciated that David encouraged us never to just accept his ideas on anatomy and yoga, but to test them for ourselves, in our own bodies and with our students.”
Ben Cohen, Yoga Teacher
I’ve trained many therapists and teachers in how to understand and apply the same Principles & Underlying Sciences to their practices. But I’ve always been pretty quiet about it, and never promoted myself very well. … (I’ve decided I had to get better at marketing.)
Here is a Partial List of the Basic, Core Medical Sciences I Use and Teach:
- Structural Anatomy: How body parts are shaped and where they are located
- Functional Kinesiology: How the body parts move when certain muscles are activated
- Neuromuscular & Myofascial Physiology: The control processes activating and coordinating body functions
- Neurology: Brain-Mind-Body control/integration via the nervous system
- Pathology: What goes wrong with the parts, systems & functions
- Physics of Structure: How to See Structurally to evaluate human posture
The trick is to know which scientific facts you need to know; which ones will be directly relevant to your work. … If it’s not relevant, I don’t teach it.
Here’s of Sampling of what you’ll be learning if you study The DSL Method of Yoga & BIO-Structural Balancing, or my Hands-on, Structural Bodywork system:
- Building a strong scientific foundation for everything you do
- Far more knowledge of the anatomy and kinesiology of how your muscles & fascia function
- How your muscles work in asana in general and in specific postures
- The wider TRUTHs about Yin-ness & Yang-ness in Muscles, Tendons & Ligaments
- How neuromuscular & myofascial physiology affect your yoga practice
- How to tailor & modify asana for individual circumstances with Yogic Logic & YogasAnalysis™
- How to non-invasively adjust Yourself — or Students & Clients — verbally and with touch
- How to see, feel & generate natural forces of internal alignment without always thinking about it
- How to decompress your joints, lengthen your body, and un-trap nerves
- How Muscles are the Nexus between your inner experience and outer reality
- Where effortless great posture comes from (NO, its NOT strong back muscles)
- Why RELAXING & LENGTHENING the Abdominals often produces more “strength” than sit ups or crunches
- Where Great Posture & Coordinated Movement REALLY come from
Then, we look at the principles of Preventive Yoga Therapy. Even if you are not intending to be a Yoga Therapist per se, it is immensely valuable to have a better idea of what is happening from this perspective. That way, you can, at very least, have better strategies in how to keep certain Students and Clients out of trouble when doing yoga, as well as minimize injuries for all (including YOU!):
- How to build a strong foundation for Preventive Yoga Therapy
- Or, refine your existing Yoga Therapy skills
- SEE & FEEL the Bio-Structural Dynamics Behind Posture & Movement
- Evaluate Posture, Analyze Imbalances, Strategize Asana Sequencing
- Better understand sources of Aches, Pains & Dysfunction
- Understand and Develop Internal & External Ergonomics
- How you can utilize Preventive Yoga Therapy — and in Group Yoga Classes, too
- Dealing with Individual versus Group needs in classroom settings
- How to apply principles of Homeopathic Medicine to Yoga
- How organ Physiology and Pathology affect everything, and vice versa
If you want VERY EASY and LOW PRICE ACCESS to getting started with the Principles of Yoga, Yogic Logic, and BIO-Structural Balancing, and the Sciences behind them that I use, you can get started HERE with a detailed description of my work and offer:
OR, if you want to jump right over to the Checkout Page, here it is:
IT’S ONLY $27, the cost of a couple of Yoga Lessons.
But the Knowledge will last You a LIFETIME.
When you do that, you’ll be taken immediately to a page where you can download the main e-Book to your computer. (It’s a PDF file, so anyone can open it.)
Then, I’ll send you FIVE more manuscripts on yoga-related topics to the e-mail you use when you order. (Listed Below.) They’ll be in your e-mail box within 24 hours.
AND, when I’ve got more editing done on the bonus e-books,
I’ll send you e-copies of those, too, at no extra charge.
Also, at the original Purchase or Checkout Page, you’ll see an OPTIONAL Offer for a 1-hour phone or Skype consultation with me at a VERY low cost.
You can Ask Me Anything! . . .
But you can get the above e-Book offer WITHOUT
the Consultation Option with No Hassle.
Here is the List of Bonus e-Books:
- 12 Principles of Maximum Results & Minimum Injury in Yoga
- BodyMind Breakdowns (what goes wrong for many conditions)
- Yoga Injury Prevention (an e-book AND a video presentation)
- An 80 page essay on Psoas Muscle & the CORE
- Tendinitis & RSI (their causes & how to resolve)
(I have a few other e-books geared more for hands-on bodyworkers I’ll be offering on a different webpage.)
Many Thanks for Reading & Take Care,
David Scott Lynn (DSL*)
* DSL: Your Hi-Touch Up-Link to the Inner-Net
Inner-Net: Your Psycho-Neuro-Musculo-Fascial System